Friday 12 December 2014

SLEEP

I'm tired. I want to sleep.  I just want to sleep.  When I'm asleep it doesn't hurt.  It doesn't hurt anymore.  There isn't any pain when I'm asleep.  No pain physically.  No pain emotionally.  The thing is that I've just had enough.  Enough of the pain.  I just want to sleep.
"To sleep perchance to dream." Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act3, Scene1

This is the part of Hamlet's famous soliloquy which begins, "To be or not to be", which reveals Hamlet's thoughts on suicide and addresses Hamlet's mental anguish.  Hamlet it tortured by the fear that there might not be any peace after death.  "For even in that sleep of death what dreams might come?"
Sleep is restorative.  Sleep encourages and accentuates the growth and rejuvenation of the immune system.  There are many benefits of sleep.  We are more productive during the day following a good night sleep.  Except, quite often I can't sleep.  I have Insomnia.  Insomnia is a sleep disorder.  Despite spending all day feeling fatigued I experience Insomnia at night, not every night. But on those occasions when I do it really is the worst kind of vicious circle: tired all day / can't sleep all night.
So, I can't sleep.  I have no escape.  I have no escape from the pain.  I lay awake, and I think and I think and I over-think.
Insomnia is difficulty sleeping.  Difficulty in getting to sleep or difficulty staying asleep for long enough to get a good night sleep and rest; enough to wake up feeling refreshed the next morning.  Insomnia and lack of sleep can lean to fatigue; which can affect your mood and affect your relationships with loved ones and others. Makes you irritable. 
Sleep is often the stuff of fairy tales: 'Sleeping Beauty' is a fairy tale involving a Beautiful Princess, a sleeping enchantment and a Handsome Prince.  The Princess pricks her finger with a pin and falls asleep for a hundred years, only to be awakened by true loves kiss.  'The Princess and the Pea' is a fairy tale involving a Beautiful Princess and an uncomfortable bed.  I love fairy tales.  I love sleep.  I love pain-free sleep.
So. Good Night. Sweet Dreams

4 comments:

  1. I don't have insomnia but sometimes I wake after a couple of hours and my mind is so buzzing that I can't get back to sleep.
    I used to feel frustrated by this, but now I use the time to catch up with reading - sometimes with paperwork.
    Luckily I rarely experience it more than once a week.
    I pray that you can deal with your insomnia. Love you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you can use your time productively. I sometimes write things down, and end up with endless lists! Love You Too Geordie x

      Delete
  2. I don't sleep well can't get to sleep and stay asleep then I'm so tired I fall asleep at tea time vicious circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a killer. Desperate to sleep all day. Can't sleep all night. Bonkers!

      Delete